The other one is a vintage beauty and I was disappointed the shade had water damage spots.
Although the lamp was in working condition, I was nervous that the old wiring may be a fire hazard. The base of the lamp lit up too, but the plastic "hurricane" definitely made me nervous! I took the whole thing apart and gave it a good scrub.
After everything had dried, I put it all back together using a new lamp kit.
I wanted to wire it so that the base would light up, but I had a difficult time finding a glass hurricane the right size to replace the plastic one, and I got tired of the torn-apart lamp sitting on my counter, so I just put it back together and if I find the right pieces later, I'll take it apart and fix it. Here it is with a new shade and sitting pretty in its new spot in my house.
It really isn't difficult at all to rewire a lamp, so don't be scared of a great lamp at a garage sale or thrift shop.